Thursday, March 15, 2012

Organic foods

So as I grew up, I ate the foods my family fed me, which was grown on their own land and harvested and cooked by them.  As I grew older and married, I moved to the big city and bought my food in a grocery store, just as most others did.  And now I see that all those foods in the grocery stores have been chemically altered, sprayed with pesticides and herbicides and the animals given growth hormones. 

I have never been so confused about food as I am now.  After getting diabetes last year, I have researched food non-stop and now I want to buy as much organic as I can (or home-grown as I call it), but it is so expensive.  I don't live near a farmer's market and don't have a back yard, so I'm looking into maybe ordering organic online or traveling 30 miles a week to pick up homegrown foods.  But then I look at the cost and I go, is it worth it?  My health is worth it, definitely.

Here is an article from the Mayo Clinic about organic foods.  Let me know your opinions and where you shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment